Club Sport of the Month for the month of February: Southern Explosion
1. When was your club established at Georgia Southern and what is a tradition your team has?
Our club was established in 1990. And so far, we don’t have any specific traditions, but every year we change, grow, and improve.
2. Why do you like playing Club sports at Georgia Southern?
It gives us an outlet to do what we all love and to continue our dancing in college in a fun and supportive environment.
3. How often do you practice? What is your typical practice like?
We practice three days a week and workout on the off-days that we do not have practice. Our practices are pretty intense, especially when it comes time to prepare for nationals. We do a lot of technique training and stretching on top of learning routines.
4. Has Southern Explosion participated in any competitions this year?
We attend Nationals each April in Daytona, FL.
5. How was the Kids’ Camp you all hosted a couple of weeks ago? Was it the first one?
Our kids’ camp this year went great! Southern Explosion has been hosting this camp for a while, but this year was definitely the best turn out. We had several girls who are interested in joining the team when they come to Georgia Southern in the future!
6. What if someone is interested in joining Southern Explosion? How can they find out more information? Are there tryouts?
We have a Facebook page where we post all of our information and upcoming events. Also, we hold a spring tryout and a fall tryout where girls are welcome to come audition for the team!
7. Does your team have any special achievements? If so, what are they?
This year was a year of building for us, so we’re excited and are hoping to come home from nationals with a finals trophy!