Most people focus on the body aspect of wellness. Many people do not realize that psychological factors can affect weight gain immensely, and they fail to realize the importance of rejuvenating the mind and soul.
According to Gaiam Life, the secret for rejuvenation is: Rejuvenate the soul first; then rejuvenation of the mind and body will follow.
The mind and soul are two aspects of wellness that are acknowledged the least by people. If people recognize these aspects of wellness, they will find themselves calm, not bothered as much by stress, and in touch with their spiritual side.
Here are some everyday activities listed by Arina’s Self Help Blog that you can do to refresh your mind and soul:
1. Get rid of clutter. Everyone gets busy, and it reflects in our living spaces. It is both physically and emotionally healthy to simplify and de-clutter work and living space once in a while. Organize your desks, sort out old photos, and make room in your closets by giving away anything that no longer fits or is unwanted. This will activate the mind, body, and soul.
2. Captivate your senses with aromatherapy. For many years, people have used aromatherapy because of their health benefits. Use scents like chamomile, bergamot, cedarwood, lavender, rose, or sandalwood to calm down your mind, ease anxiety and tensed muscles. You can use citrus, peppermint, rosemary and thyme scents to energize your body and uplift your mood. You can find these scents in candles, bath wash, air fresheners, and lotions.
3. Take a few moments to meditate. Meditation can calm your mind, increase concentration, release negative feelings and regain your emotional strength.
Steps for Meditation:
- Mediation does not need a particular position or posture. You can sit wherever you want and close your eyes to block out any distraction.
- Closing the eyes is one of the ways to stop you getting distracted. Find a place that will not have too much noise around and not be one of the busiest rooms of your house. You can listen to calming music.
Here is a great example of meditation music:
- A lot of people mediate on a regular basis and not just once in a while. Once you close your eyes, try to rid your mind of every thought. This is the toughest thing to do as the mind is constantly buzzing. Let the thoughts flow in but move to the point to over and above them. This is when you will achieve the peaceful state of mind to get your senses calm.
- Start with only 10 to 15 minutes in the beginning. Soon you will find it easier to do and will practice more often. If you think it’s something you can’t do yourself, join a class. Meditation too can be taught.
- On a day when emotions are buzzing through you, you may find it hard to meditate. If you can’t don’t force yourself. But it may just help you achieve calm if you tried.
- While meditating its only natural if you drift in to sleep. But if you find this to be a short process to sleep then try to learn techniques to stay awake.
4. Do nothing for a half an hour. As it turns out there are many physical benefits of doing nothing and just being lazy. Research shows that people who would rather relax in a hammock and read a book instead of working on their laptop or doing their house chores have a better chance of living into old age. Give yourself some rest!
5. Take mini-vacations during the day. You do not have to wait for a two-week vacation to feel rejuvenated and energetic. Instead you can take 15-minute mini-vacations every hour or so to regain your strengths and put some space between you and your hectic work schedule. Examples of this is watching a movie or favorite TV show, chatting with a friend, going on a five-minute walk, or getting a coffee at a coffee shop.
6. Hydrate your mind. Lack of water is the number one reason for daily fatigue and poor concentration. Therefore, make sure you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. And if you are not a big water fan, add a slice lemon or honey to it to give it great flavor.
7. Nurture your body. During the wintertime lack of vitamin D due to the body’s insufficient exposure to sun light combined with low temperatures and humidity can noticeably weaken our immune system and decrease our energy levels. This is why you should make sure that you incorporate more fruits, nuts and easy-to eat veggies into your diet.
8. Welcome spring into your house. Even if outside is cold and raining, you can lift your spirits by bringing spring and sunlight inside your environment. There are plenty of little, low-cost changes you can make to improve your mood: put fresh flowers on the table, change window curtains to something more colorful, buy bright dinner napkins, or change the wallpaper on your desktop to something more cheerful.
9. Get your beauty sleep. There is no better remedy to rejuvenate your mind and body than a good night’s sleep. It is the time when your cells self-repair and your body releases two important youth hormones – Human Growth Hormone and Melatonin. Make sure that your bedroom is your sanctuary where you rest your mind and body after the long day at work, not the storage room.
10. Be good to yourself. Think kinder thoughts about yourself. Be kinder to your eyes and do not strain them too much by staring at a computer screen for hours. Be kinder to your body by eating healthier foods and pampering it with a relaxing massage or a hot bath. Allow yourself to rest, without feeling guilty or anxious.
11. Get in touch with nature. Nature is beautiful at this time of year. You are missing a great deal by locking yourself in a stuffy office or spending your weekends in front of the TV. Get outside! Jump into a pile of leaves. Breathe fresh spring air. Feel the sun on your face. Stroll slowly along a lake or Sweetheart Circle at Georgia Southern.
12. Let go of emotional clutter. Just like unneeded stuff clutters our house, negative emotions and beliefs clutter our mind. Unresolved conflicts and negative feelings take up too much of our energy and tire our mind. Everyday is a new beginning. Do not poison it with anger, grudges, envy, guilt, and blame. Leave this negative emotional baggage behind and start from a clean page.
13. Call a friend that you have not seen for a long time. Life goes on. We get busy and don’t have much time to visit with friends. If there is a friend who you have not seen for ages, now is a perfect opportunity to renew your friendship. It is really gratifying to call an old friend, grab a cup of coffee together and catch up on everything that happened since the last time you met. Having a social life is important!
14. Be romantic. Do you feel love and romance is in the air? It does not matter if you are already in love or searching for your special someone. Allow yourself to be daring, bold, and beautiful. Open up your heart and show your parents, friends, and boyfriend/girlfriend that you love and care about them! Love is an emotional state that can heavily affect your wellness.
15. Take a Yoga class. Yoga helps you focus on calming and strengthening the mind and soul. Ever since I have started practicing, I find myself calmer in hectic situations. Yoga can teach you the basics with meditation and rejuvenating the body and soul.
I hope these tips lead you to building a healthier lifestyle catered toward the mind and soul. Body is important, but the mind and soul affect your well-being and your outlook on life. So take a deep breath, clear your mind, and let go of all the bad stuff!