With Intramural Sand Volleyball registration now open, I decided to dedicate this post to some of the more interesting facts on the sport. So read on, enjoy, and go register your team online for Intramural Sand Volleyball!
So, did you know?
- Beach Volleyball originated in Southern California
- Most of the early beach volleyball matches were played with teams of at least six players per side, much like indoor volleyball.
- The concept of the modern two-man beach volleyball game is credited to Paul “Pablo” Johnson. In 1930, while waiting for players to show up for a six-man game, Johnson decided to try playing with only the two people present. The idea stuck and the game was changed forever.
- The first official two-man beach volleyball tournament was held at Will Rogers State beach in California. There was no prize money.
- In 1948 the first tournament to offer a prize was held in Los Angeles, California. The winners won a case of Pepsi.
- Jose Cuervo Tequila became the sport’s first major sponsor in 1978
- At the international level, the top two nations in beach volleyball competition are Brazil and the United States
- The main international governing body for beach volleyball is the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB)
- In 1999, the FIVB standardized beach volleyball uniforms, with the swimsuit becoming the required uniform both for men and women. Many conservative critics viewed this move as a stunt to “sex up” the sport and attract more viewers.
- Misty May-Treanor and Keri Walsh are arguably the best women players in the world, taking home 2 consecutive Olympic gold medals in 2004 and 2008 and 3 World Champions throughout their careers.
Still unsure about playing? Like Intramural Sports Director Tommy Segi says, “Even if you don’t win, you still get to work on your tan!” For more information on Intramural Sand Volleyball or to register your team, visit CRI’s Intramural webpage.
CRI Till You Die! – Michelle