Club Sport of the Month for the month of March: Ultimate
1. When was your club established at Georgia Southern and what is a tradition your team has?
We were established in 1998. One tradition we have is hosting Southerns. It is one of the biggest tournaments in the nation and brings in 60 teams from around the country.
2. Why do you like playing Club sports at Georgia Southern?
Georgia Southern club sports blows every other school’s club sports program out of the water. Not only do they have the best facilities and funding, they also have the most helpful and supportive staff.
3. How often do you practice? What is your typical practice like?
We practice for three hours, two days a week. After a thorough warm up, we spend two-thirds of our time running drills, and then spend any remaining time playing shortened games that focus on what we went over in drills.
4. What is it like to travel and play different schools?
Taking a group of 27 players that we have been working hard with all semester and spending two entire days playing against other schools from all over the country is an experience like no other. Each tournament we compete in has a new set of teams that present a new set of challenges for us to overcome.
5. What is your best memory while playing in tournaments?
This season at the Tallahassee Classic, hosted by Florida State, we started off Sunday playing against Wake Forest. After a rough Sunday, our team was suffering from a handful of injuries against a strong opponent. We were down 8-4 at half time and we could hear Wake Forest talking about how they were going to finish the game 15-4 and it was, “pretty much over.” Unfortunately for them, we came out of half time pretty fired up from all of their inflammatory banter and scored six points in a row and managed to win the game 15-14.
6. What if someone is interested in playing ultimate? How can they find out more information? Are there tryouts?
If they are interested in playing ultimate, they should get in touch with me, Andrew Bogle either on facebook, by email firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the south fields at 6:15 to talk with me. We host tryouts in mid-October.
7. Does your team have any special achievements? If so, what are they?
Our tournament, College Southerns, is one of the top 5 largest in the country. Our men’s team has attended regionals for the past 4 years, meaning we place top 5 out of 10-15 teams in our section/conference.